Tuesday, October 2, 2007

78% of consumer PCs NOT protected

Boy, I guess I have a lot of work to do. Based on this study by McAfee and the National Cyber Security Alliance, only 22% of PCs have up to date AV, spyware and a properly configured firewall.

What is a "properly configured firewall" anyway? That's why I'm not a big fan of survey. I think for the most part the numbers are trumped up to make whatever case needs to be made.

The reality is that a majority of consumer PCs are not adequately protected. And that's why I'm focusing a lot of my efforts on Security Mike.

It's not that consumers don't want to be protected - it's that they don't know how. Even worse, the vendors aren't really helping. Personally I think AV, spyware and a firewall are NOT sufficient to protect someone from the hazards out there in cyber-space.

So the good news is that there is a huge need for Security Mike's Guide. The bad news is that there is a huge need for Security Mike's Guide.

No comments: