Friday, February 15, 2008

Now this is security awareness!


My friend Alan Shimel tells a great story about how his oldest son is more security-aware than 98% of the Internet users out there. And I may be conservative on that front.

Yesterday I talked about using strong passwords and protecting them, since they are the key to the kingdom. But, as a technologist tends to do, I focused on throwing technology at the problem.

The first rule of thumb is to not tell anyone your passwords. Not your wife, your dog, and certainly not your mother in law. And I get along with my mother in law. Shimel's son is right, he shouldn't tell his Dad the password. Trust has nothing to do with it.

That being said, you always want to have fail safes. So make sure your passwords are stored somewhere, so if something does happen to you - someone else can pick up the pieces. Maybe keep it in your safety deposit box or with the trustee of your estate.

And teach your kids these lessons. It's never too early to teach them safe Internet practices.

Photo credit: Silfverduk

No comments: